I managed to snatch an hour tonight so continued the pavilion.
The new laser cut parts (without which this kit wouldn’t be possible) are crisp but need a little cutting out of the fret. To clean up the corners, I used a 5 sided cutting broach. Not really what they’re designed for but a file is too rough for the work.
The new precision glue bottles from Metcalfe are a good investment. I admit I was a little hesitant when I first saw them thinking the end of a pin would do just as well but I’ve been converted. They are excellent for this fine work.
For the final assembly of the steps I used superglue. For fiddly things it can be the best option but you do need to do a dry run first and then take a brave pill since there’s no second chance – I use the gel which is quick setting but doesn’t run which is ideal for this.
Finally I built the porch which was a dream to fit, fixed the steps on using the superglue on the end of a pin technique to join the step handrails to the porch uprights, and then built the start of the dormer roof with clock set to five to four.
A trial run with the roof does show I need to fit some kind of interior. I’m thinking some cricketers and spectators in the windows to draw the eye away from the bare background.