I have started work on the loco mods to the Saint. This involves changing the cylinders and adding various details to represent the Lentz valve gear.
The first attempt at cylinder change did not go well. I meant to take the slidebars from the existing loco and marry them to a set of A3 cylinders to represent the different valve chest arrangement. (A3 cylinders L, original cylinders R)
Unfortunately, despite a good start in modifying the back cylinder cover and drilling out the piston rod gland, securely fastening the slidebars to the cylinders involved them locating slightly too far forward so the crosshead then fell out the back of the slidebars.
In case the existing crosshead doesn’t fit in the Castle slidebars I got the pack which comes with the connecting rod and crosshead. In some ways I shouldn’t be too cross as modern slidebars look a lot more realistic and with the right profile than the old 1980s Hornby efforts.