Well maybe more of a civil engineering disaster. I’m now in the midst of construction of the viaduct for the mountain railway to go at the back of the baseboard. I’ve been putting off putting pictures of it up because I don’t want to spoil the surprise of how it will look.
It is made out of a Metcalfe viaduct kit but heavily modified. Having made a jig and built the front face arches I needed to make the inner arches which hold the card forming the inside of the arch together. However, after I’d constructed them as boxes I realised that wouldn’t work as the deck of the bridge would go straight through the middle of each box. So after a night of putting the boxes together, I’ve now spent tonight taking them apart again.
Finally, having decided to line them up with the front fascia and stick them together with some scotch magic tape, I was able to glue them to the bridge deck which will hold everything together. If you’re wondering why the deck stops short on the final arch, that’s because the arch ends in a cliff face.