Yup you heard that right. T’missus said I should be careful about saying I’m stripping my model. But there we were, I was.
The model in question was the Ertl Culdee which is the base for my mountain engine.
Following reading internet discussions on the best strippers out there, as it were, and the poor performance of “modern” nitromors I tried brake fluid (because it’s cheap and I’m a Yorkshireman) which took the shiny laquer off a treat but struggled with the paint. I then used polycell stripper which is effectively half the price of nitromors and it went through the paint like nobody’s business.
What is underneath is a well modelled casting, definitely suitable for the job in hand, although the boiler isn’t anywhere near as steeply inclined as in real life, and in fact looks level by some trick in the photo below, but with a few added parts I think something can be made of the job. And I have a plan for the chassis too.