No it wasn’t a flash in the pan. I am challenging myself to see if I can finish one model by Christmas so I set about the Hornby Saint model with relish. As an RMWeb contributor put it, “while you e got the body off, line it up with a drawing of a Saint and have a good laugh”.
He’s right, it’s not the most accurate model but with a bit of hacking, a decent looking model can be achieved. Things that bother me the most are the smokebox and front footplate being comically long and the curve to the front footplate being too shallow – this apparently back from the days of a Triang Hall which was an approximation at best.
I therefore hacked 2mm off the front of the smokebox, having removed the door and at the same time cleaned up the mould lines – the pictures make the lines look worse than they are. I decided to keep the smokebox door but removed the moulded dart and replaced it with a Markits one (remind me to remove that last bit of flash that missed my attention).
Additionally I replaced the safety valve bonnet with a W/m one and will replace the chimney with a lost wax cast one.
For the footplate I copied a dodge from our friendly RMWeb contributor. Rather than repeat it all you can read about it here. It looks brutal at first.
But the result is worth it. I’ll get some Dean buffers to complete the look.
The eagle eyed will have spotted the steam pipes have been removed. This is to make way for the Lenz Cam boxes which will be fitted next.