Well I’m going to miss my deadline of finishing Caynham Court by Christmas. Partly caused by being in London, Christmas delays to the post, and it being far too cold in the garage. With any luck I’ll get some time over the holidays to get it done.
However, I finally managed to get to the garage the other evening. The plan was to drill a set of holes equidistant from an edge to form the supports for the cam chests. Doing this on the milling machine was a breeze and a good thing too since I ended up doing it three times…
Unfortunately, my initial thoughts on materials were a bit poor. Firstly I tried hardboard, and then ply but both delaminated when trying to cut out the supports. Then I found some left over plastic I’d used to form a splash back for a sink.
I then cut out 4 of the holes (the others were just in case spares) and mounted them on one of the cam chests I’d previously turned.
With some ridiculously complicated clamping…
…that allowed me to cut out the supports I needed.
Which were then glued to the turned chests having given them a quick scuff on the surfaces to be glued to give it a key.
Initial trial fitting suggests it’s going to look ok.