While the Fairlie was drying I got my 15xx out for continuation. Long time listeners will remember I started on this some time ago but had not revealed the big secret – using a proprietary chassis.
Well here it is. It’s a Hornby Thompson L1 chassis. The wheels are 0.5mm too big and the wheelbase about 2mm too long but I can live with that.
The hack isn’t for the faint hearted as it involves removing front and back from the chassis block, removing the motor front fixing bracket and then rotating the motor by 90 degrees so it sits wider but lower. The picture above shows the block shortened but prior to cutting down the motor fixing block and rotating the motor.
The white metal body then needs most of the underside removing too. However the result is worth it. The pictures below show first “about there” fitting with the saddle just placed under the smokebox for support. With some further fettling it’ll be good to go. I also couldn’t resist putting the chimney and s/v cover on just to see how it looks.
The pictures also show one decision I’ve made which is to remove the white metal cab and fit one from a Bachmann 64xx which is correct dimensionally apart from the footsteps being the wrong type, but generally the detail is much better and crisper on the 64xx.