Penlowry

Chronicling the development of my 5-gauge 4mm scale model railway with a few off-topic insights thrown in for free


2 Comments

The Dog’s B…. Bone

At long last I’ve managed to find five minutes to post the pictures of my single cab class 58. It is still in need of a fair amount of cleaning up and weathering, but hopefully it gives the basic idea.

BR promotional model

BR promotional model

As the donor loco had a really poor body I bought a replacement and used the poor one for the new end bits.

End preperation

End preparation

Here the second cab has been hacked off and plasticard has been added in preparation of the new end.

A section of the old body was cut to length, black plasticard added to form a bulkhead, and then end detail was needed.

Buffer beam removed from old cab

Buffer beam removed from old cab

For this I used the end of the original cab, cut out, a section taken out of the middle to make it thinner, and then stuck back together again.

New end

New end

Lining up

Lining up

It fits!

It fits!

The only other thing that was needed was to modify the running plate to cover the gap where the cab was.

Running plate modification

Running plate modification

 

A final reassembly and the model starts to look the part. I still need to refit the handrails and add a few other detail parts but I’m pretty pleased how well it captures BR’s “might have been”.

Ready to roll