Penlowry

Chronicling the development of my Cambrian and Narrow Gauge 4mm scale model railway


1 Comment

Quiet but busy

I always know when my boys are up to no good. They go quiet. I wouldn’t say I’ve been up to no good but I have been busy – mainly because I’ve been on holiday!

T’missus, as is her way, hit the nail on the head when she said my office / railway room had descended into chaos. She was right, but I’d have labelled it a right sh!thole!

So some organisation has gone on (as well as a fantastic night away – the first without the MiniMes since they came on the scene – to celebrate 10 years of t’missus putting up with me).

Cupboard under the baseboard for the scenery materials made out of the remains of the kitchen peninsula we removed some time ago.

Organised the stock.

Went to Driffield steam fair.

Perused the Patriarch’s library.

Erected a display cabinet for those things that don’t fit the Penlowry timeframe.

And gone through a load of old memories.

Oh and done some preliminaries for another model…

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Another tender story

With a break in railcar modelling I knocked up this Churchward tender using bits of Hornby tenders. It is from a 28xx and may go behind my 28xx but I also need a spare one to go behind the Mallard Models Duke that the Patriarch built which currently has one of the short tenders to fit in Cornish small turntables whereas by the time the surviving Dukes had become part of the 90xx Dukedog range on the Cambrian they had the longer tenders. The model needs some real coal on it to get rid of the plastic gloss but apart from that is looking good.


1 Comment

Hack-a-thon

As promised in the last post, more hacking of the bus bodies was required.

I’d always intended to get rid of the window ladder as that wasn’t part of my plans but then I realised the bodies were too tall so they have been reduced in height too. More pain for those who like die cast bus collecting!

The picture shows cunning use of a box lying around to provide a spacer.

While this picture shows the lowered bodies showing how much was cut off.


Leave a comment

All very holey

With the sides gluing, I got on with the ends of the railcar Ashover coach bits. I wanted doors in these so used my now usual technique of using a mill drill to open out one of the windows and then a file to clean it up.

Top is one of the ends after mill-drilling our and bottom is the finished result.

Next it’s back to the bus bodies…


Leave a comment

In the Shambles

Having got MiniMe2’s birthday party out of the way, complete with engineered cake (windmill this time), I managed to get some time in at the modelling desk.

As suggested in my last post about the railcar, there was going to be a fair amount of butchery and sure enough there was!

In the next part of my slow reveal of my plans, here you can see I’ve hacked the tie bars off, but kept them as I have a use for them on the finished model, and cut each side in half.

After a bit of cleaning up, the sides were stuck back together the other way round with the door in the middle.

And the Shambles? For those that know their York history, the Shambles was the butchers’ street and many of the shops still have their hooks and “Shammels” – wide window sills to display the meat on.


Leave a comment

The day job

Well modelling has been at a standstill for a bit. The day job has taken up so much time recently that all good plans have come to a halt.

However, the day job has been interesting with looking at challenging standards and now evaluating train specifications so not all bad.

I thought I’d give this update with this picture I took yesterday at Kings Cross. It’s the first IEP I’ve seen (except in artists impressions) without the yellow nose.

This is a standard which needed challenging. A yellow front end makes sense when a diesel or electric is surrounded by steam locos drowning out the noise it makes and when the lamps are not much better than an oil lamp but with today’s high intensity headlights and a much quieter railway, the need is long gone. (As an aside, you may be aware that to run on the mainline, until recently, steam locos had to prove why they didn’t need a yellow front end. The derogation motivation given for Tornado is worth a read – basically it’s bloody noisy!)


1 Comment

Cut deep

The idea is to make the railcar look like something totally different from everything else running – the new dawn.

To do that I need to use the Burlingham Seagull buses I got.

They were dismantled in the usual way by drilling out the rivets and then emptying he insides. I may use some of the seats from the bus in the railcar – another part I’m undecided on.

The buses were then cut with a bandsaw across the middle. This isn’t the end of the cutting process but it is definitely the most dramatic!

Next stage – more cutting!!