At long last I’ve managed to find five minutes to post the pictures of my single cab class 58. It is still in need of a fair amount of cleaning up and weathering, but hopefully it gives the basic idea.
As the donor loco had a really poor body I bought a replacement and used the poor one for the new end bits.
Here the second cab has been hacked off and plasticard has been added in preparation of the new end.
A section of the old body was cut to length, black plasticard added to form a bulkhead, and then end detail was needed.
For this I used the end of the original cab, cut out, a section taken out of the middle to make it thinner, and then stuck back together again.
The only other thing that was needed was to modify the running plate to cover the gap where the cab was.
A final reassembly and the model starts to look the part. I still need to refit the handrails and add a few other detail parts but I’m pretty pleased how well it captures BR’s “might have been”.